Coronavirus deals blow to newspapers in North Africa | Inquirer ºÚÁÏÉç

ºÚÁÏÉç

Coronavirus deals blow to newspapers in North Africa

/ 04:49 AM April 03, 2020

TUNISIA — Measures to stem the novel coronavirus pandemic have affected the distribution and publication of newspapers across Tunisia, Morocco and Algeria, according to local media and officials.

In Tunisia, seven daily newspapers and 20 weeklies have been suspended from publication by their owners in recent days, the Tunisian Federation of ºÚÁÏÉçpaper Directors (FTDJ) said Thursday.

“Several subscriptions are held by government administrations and airlines which are closed and the distribution of newspapers in kiosks has suffered” as a result of a lockdown in place since March 22, FTDJ president Taieb Zahar told AFP.

Article continues after this advertisement

In Morocco, the culture ministry last week called on editors to stop the publication and distribution of newspapers until further notice, according to the official MAP news agency.

FEATURED STORIES

A ministry spokesman said the decision was aimed at stemming the spread of coronavirus.

“A large number of people handle newspapers every day and this helps spread the virus, therefore it is necessary to ban them in order to safeguard the health of citizens,” the spokesman said.

A few Algerian newspapers continue to publish, but in limited editions since a partial lockdown was imposed there on March 2, and they can only be found in some kiosks in the capital Algiers.

“We have been distributing the newspaper ourselves in some Algiers kiosks,” said Mohamed Taher Messaoudi, a journalist for the French-language daily El Watan.

Article continues after this advertisement

According to him, a ban on transport between provinces means that newspapers published in Algiers cannot reach other parts of the country.

Drivers, said Messaoudi, “do not want to make the rounds because of the risks linked to the illness”.

Article continues after this advertisement

Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco have taken a series of measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 since the first cases were detected last month.

The COVID-19 disease has killed 83 people in Algeria, according to an official toll, 36 in Morocco and 14 in Tunisia.

Edited by JPV
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the and acknowledge that I have read the .

For more news about the novel coronavirus click
What you need to know about Coronavirus.
For more information on COVID-19, call the DOH Hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150.

The Inquirer Foundation supports our healthcare frontliners and is still accepting cash donations to be deposited at Banco de Oro (BDO) current account #007960018860 or donate through PayMaya using this

EDITORS' PICK
business
globalnation
entertainment
www
globalnation
globalnation
TAGS: Coronavirus, COVID-19, infection, Morocco, newspapers, pandemic, Tunisia

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the and acknowledge that I have read the .

© Copyright 1997-2025 ºÚÁÏÉç | All Rights Reserved

This is an information message

We use cookies to enhance your experience. By continuing, you agree to our use of cookies.