
LUCKY TO BE ALIVE Christian Floralde (in hoodie jacket), needs assistance as he arrives for the preliminary hearing at the Mandaluyong City Hall of Justice on the June 5 hit-and-run incident. Jose Antonio Sanvicente, the driver who caused his injury, was only represented by his lawyer at Friday鈥檚 proceedings. 鈥擥RIG C. MONTEGRANDE
Jose Antonio Sanvicente, the suspect in the hit-and-run incident last week that went viral on social media, was a no-show at the Mandaluyong City Prosecutor鈥檚 Office on Friday when it began its preliminary investigation into the frustrated murder and abandonment charges filed against him.
But Christian Joseph Floralde, the security guard whom Sanvicente hit and ran over, appeared before the probe, apparently still struggling to walk after he was discharged from the hospital on June 10, five days after the incident.
Floralde, 31, was directing traffic at the intersection of Julia Vargas Avenue and St. Francis Street in Mandaluyong in the afternoon of June 5, when he fell to the ground upon being hit by Sanvicente鈥檚 car. The 34-year-old Sanvicente then ran his vehicle over the security guard and fled the scene.
The Philippine National Police presented Sanvicente in a press conference on Wednesday. His lawyer Danilo Macalino said his client would present a counteraffidavit on Friday鈥檚 inquiry.
Not necessary
Macalino, however, appeared before the Prosecutor鈥檚 Office without Sanvicente. He explained to reporters after the closed-door hearing that Sanvicente鈥檚 presence was not necessary.
He added that his client will attend the next hearing set on June 23 to file his counteraffidavit.
Floralde wore a cap, a face mask and a hooded sweatshirt, as he was accompanied by escorts sent by his employer, Raptor Security Agency.
It was still clear from his face that he was wincing from pain, as he walked up the stairs to the Prosecutor鈥檚 Office at the third floor of the Mandaluyong Hall of Justice to submit his sworn statement.
After the hearing, which lasted over an hour, he was clutching the shoulders of his escorts as they helped him on their way back to the ground floor.
Floralde鈥檚 lawyer Federico Biolena said his client was determined to pursue the charges against Sanvicente.
鈥淲e are slightly disappointed [that Sanvicente didn鈥檛 show up], but we know that justice will prevail,鈥 Biolena told reporters.
鈥榃illing to help鈥
According to Macalino, Sanvicente鈥檚 family is willing to extend any assistance to Floralde.
鈥淲e are willing to help, but it does not mean that we want to amicably settle the case,鈥 Macalino said.
The preliminary investigation is expected to take more than a month, after which the Prosecutor鈥檚 Office will issue a resolution either finding that there are sufficient grounds for a trial or dismissing the charges.
Sanvicente had been in hiding for 10 days before he surrendered to the police. He was accompanied by his lawyer and his parents.
According to Lt. Gen. Vicente Danao Jr., the PNP鈥檚 officer in charge, the police could no longer detain Sanvicente as more than 36 hours had already passed since his alleged offense and no arrest warrant had yet been issued against him.
The suspect鈥檚 car, a white Toyota RAV4 sport utility vehicle with plate number NCO 3781, had been turned over to the PNP鈥檚 Highway Patrol Group.
The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has revoked his driver鈥檚 license and permanently barred him from obtaining a new one after his absence in two hearings called on his case.
The LTO said Sanvicente had three earlier citations for reckless driving.
RELATED STORY:
LTO revokes driver鈥檚 license of SUV owner in Mandaluyong hit-and-run