Cholera outbreak in Malawi has killed 110 since March | Inquirer ºÚÁÏÉç

ºÚÁÏÉç

Cholera outbreak in Malawi has killed 110 since March

/ 08:27 AM October 05, 2022

ºÚÁÏÉç stock images

BLANTYRE — Cholera has spread to 22 of Malawi’s 28 districts, killing 110 people and infecting 3,891 people since March when the first case was reported, the health minister said on Tuesday.

The first case of the debilitating infection, which spreads mainly through contaminated food and water, was reported in March in the southern district of Machinga.

Article continues after this advertisement

The disease has since then spread rapidly to other regions of the country, raising alarm that it could worsen at the onset of Malawi’s rain season in November and December.

FEATURED STORIES

Malawi’s health minister Khumbize Chiponda said in a statement that most of the deaths occurred because infected people came late for treatment at health facilities.

“The major factors associated with the cholera outbreak in the communities are poor food hygiene, lack of safe water and low latrines coverage and usage (open defecation),” Chiponda said.

RELATED STORIES:

Resurgence of cholera kills 150 people in Cameroon

Cholera kills at least seven in Haiti as disease returns

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the and acknowledge that I have read the .

TAGS: cholera outbreak, Malawi, world news

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the and acknowledge that I have read the .

© Copyright 1997-2025 ºÚÁÏÉç | All Rights Reserved

This is an information message

We use cookies to enhance your experience. By continuing, you agree to our use of cookies.