黑料社

Ecuador TV studio attacked by armed men during live broadcast

Armed men storm Ecuador TV studio during live broadcast

Ecuador police respond to an attack at the TC Television network, a public television channel in the port city of Guayaquil on Tuesday, January 9, 2024. Masked men broke onto the set waving guns and explosives during a live broadcast Tuesday. (AP Photo/Cesar Munoz)

GUAYAQUIL, Ecuador 鈥 Masked men broke onto the set of a public television channel in Ecuador waving guns and explosives during a live broadcast Tuesday, and the president issued a decree declaring that the South American country had entered an 鈥渋nternal armed conflict.鈥

The men armed with pistols and what looked like sticks of dynamite entered the set of the TC Television network in the port city of Guayaquil and shouted that they had bombs. Noises similar to gunshots could be heard in the background. It was not immediately clear if any station personnel were injured.

Alina Manrique, the head of news for TC Television, said she was in the control room, across from the studio, when the masked men entered the building. One of the men pointed a gun at her head and told her to get on the floor, Manrique said.

READ: Ecuador under state of emergency, curfew after narco boss escapes

Some of the assailants ran from the studio and tried to hide elsewhere in the building when they realized police surrounded them, she said.

鈥淚 am still in shock鈥 Manrique told The Associated Press in a phone interview. 鈥淓verything has collapsed 鈥. All I know is that it鈥檚 time to leave this country and go very far away.鈥

Ecuador has been rocked by a series of attacks, including the abductions of several police officers, in the wake of an influential gang leader鈥檚 apparent weekend escape from prison. President Daniel Noboa said Monday that he would declare a national state of emergency, a measure that lets authorities suspend people鈥檚 rights and mobilize the military in places like prisons.

Shortly after the gunmen stormed the TV station, Noboa issued another decree designating 20 drug trafficking gangs operating in the country as terrorist groups and authorizing Ecuador鈥檚 military to 鈥渘eutralize鈥 these groups within the bounds of international humanitarian law.

READ: How Ecuador became one of the most violent countries in Latin America

Ecuador鈥檚 national police chief announced shortly that authorities had arrested all the masked intruders. Police commander C茅sar Zapata told the TV channel Teleamazonas that officers seized the guns and explosives the gunmen had with them. He said 13 people were arrested.

鈥淭his is an act that should be considered as a terrorist act,鈥 Zapata said.

The government has not said how many attacks have taken place since authorities announced that Los Choneros gang leader Adolfo Mac铆as, alias 鈥淔ito,鈥 was discovered missing from his cell in a low-security prison Sunday. He was scheduled to be transferred to a maximum security facility that day.

Authorities also have not said who is thought to be behind the attacks, which included an explosion near the house of the president of the National Justice Court and the Monday night kidnappings of four police officers, or whether they think the actions were coordinated.

Police said one officer was abducted in the capital, Quito, and three in Quevedo city.

Los Choneros is one of the Ecuadorian gangs that authorities consider responsible for a spike in violence, much tied to drug trafficking, that reached a new level last year with the assassination of presidential candidate Fernando Villavicencio. The gang has links with Mexico鈥檚 Sinaloa cartel, according to authorities.

Mac铆as鈥 whereabouts are unknown. Prosecutors opened an investigation and charged two guards in connection with his alleged escape, but neither the police, the corrections system, nor the federal government confirmed whether the prisoner fled the facility or might be hiding in it.

In February 2013, he escaped from a maximum security facility but was recaptured weeks later.

On Monday, Noboa decreed a national state of emergency for 60 days, allowing the authorities to suspend rights and mobilize the military in places like prisons. The government also imposed a curfew from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.

Noboa said on Instagram that he wouldn鈥檛 stop until he 鈥渂rings back peace to all Ecuadorians鈥 and that his government had decided to confront crime. The wave of attacks began a few hours after Noboa鈥檚 announcement.

Noboa鈥檚 predecessor, Guillermo Lasso, widely used states of emergency as a way to confront the wave of violence that has affected the country.

Mac铆as, who was convicted of drug trafficking, murder and organized crime, was serving a 34-year sentence in La Regional prison in the port of Guayaquil.

Experts and authorities have acknowledged that gang members practically rule from inside the prisons, and Mac铆as was believed to have continued controlling his group from within the detention facility.

MOST READ
Read more...