黑料社

Davao del Norte gov vows to defy suspension

Palace metes 60-day suspension on Davao del Norte gov

Banners showing support for suspended Davao del Norte Gov. Edwin Jubahib are seen outside the provincial capitol premises in Barangay Mankilam, Tagum City on Thursday as officials from the Department of Interior and Local Government implemented the 60-day preventive suspension order against him. | PHOTO: Ruel Dagsangan

TAGUM CITY 鈥 Davao del Norte Gov. Edwin Jubahib on Thursday vowed he would not step down despite a 60-day preventive suspension handed by the Office of the President, calling the order 鈥渦njustified鈥 and 鈥渁 power trip鈥 by his political enemies.

Jubahib met with his supporters inside the provincial capitol complex in Barangay Mankilam here shortly before noon, hours after police-backed officials of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) served the administrative sanction against him.

READ: Palace suspends Davao del Norte gov for 60 days

The order was dated April 8, and signed for President Marcos by Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin. It noted that there was 鈥渟trong evidence of guilt against Jubahib鈥 on the grave abuse of authority and oppression charges filed by Board Member Orly Amit in November 2022.

鈥淕iven the gravity of the offense charged, there is a great probability that his continuance in office could influence the witnesses or pose a threat to the safety and integrity of the records and other evidence,鈥 the order read.

Abdullah Matalam, DILG regional director in Davao, told reporters on Thursday that Vice Gov. De Carlo Uy would serve as acting governor.

But Jubahib said: 鈥淲e will not budge. They could not wait for the next election. They are eager to hold power and implement their personal interest.鈥

In a video statement released on his social media account early Thursday, the governor urged his supporters to converge at the provincial capitol to block the service of the suspension order.

In his talk to supporters hours later, Jubahib said Amit鈥檚 complaint came from his order in November 2022 recalling the provincial legislator鈥檚 capitol-issued service vehicle and detailing it to the provincial engineering office. He recalled that the vehicle was returned to Amit鈥檚 office that December.Local issues

The second-term governor had been locking horns with the board member from the Island Garden City of Samal due to several local issues. Amit had slammed Jubahib in a privilege speech before the provincial board after the latter allegedly insinuated that the legislator was involved in corruption, which the former had denied.

Jubahib ran under Partido Reporma of former Speaker and now Davao del Norte Rep. Pantaleon Alvarez and supported the failed presidential bid of former Vice President Leni Robredo. He has since switched to the ruling Partido Federal ng Pilipinas led by President Marcos.In recent months, Jubahib, a known prot茅g茅 of Alvarez, has aligned himself with Vice President Sara Duterte and her father, former President Rodrigo Duterte.

In his speech, Jubahib insinuated that his rivals were being backed by 鈥減owerful top politicians.鈥漈he governor has vowed to continue holding his ground until the suspension order is lifted.

鈥淲e will remain doing this rally so our President Bongbong Marcos, Executive Secretary Bersamin and SAP (special assistant to the president) Anton Lagdameo will hear that [my suspension] was wrong,鈥 he said.

LATEST STORIES
Read more...