1M urged to evacuate as typhoon nears Japan | Inquirer ºÚÁÏÉç

ºÚÁÏÉç

1M urged to evacuate as typhoon nears Japan

/ 06:48 PM September 20, 2011

TOKYO – More than a million people in central Japan are being urged to evacuate as a powerful typhoon approaches. The storm has already triggered floods that left two people missing.

Public broadcaster NHK says some 1.3 million people have been ordered or advised to evacuate, including 80,000 people in Nagoya.

The Meteorological Agency says the typhoon was located near the southern island of Tanegashima on Tuesday afternoon and could reach the Tokyo area by Wednesday afternoon.

Article continues after this advertisement

Gifu prefectural police say a 9-year-old boy and an 84-year-old man are missing after apparently falling into swollen rivers due to heavy rains from the approaching storm.

A typhoon that slammed Japan earlier this month left about 90 people dead or missing.

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our daily newsletter

By providing an email address. I agree to the and acknowledge that I have read the .

lifestyle
usa
opinion
entertainment
globalnation
globalnation
business
www
entertainment
globalnation
TAGS: Asia, disaster, Evacuation, Japan, Typhoon, Weather

Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Subscribe to our newsletter!

By providing an email address. I agree to the and acknowledge that I have read the .

© Copyright 1997-2025 ºÚÁÏÉç | All Rights Reserved

This is an information message

We use cookies to enhance your experience. By continuing, you agree to our use of cookies.