
The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has issued a show cause order to MMDA Special Operations Group Task Force head Gabriel Go over an incident where his actions gained widespread criticism. Screengrab from the Facebook page of Ralph Calinisan
MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has issued a show cause order to MMDA Special Operations Group Task Force head Gabriel Go over an incident for which he was severely criticized.
MMDA Chairman Don Artes shared this development on Tuesday after Senator JV Ejercito said that Artes had committed to taking disciplinary action against Go.
Artes said that the MMDA would give Go due process and penalize him “as justified” if he committed a mistake.
“In relation to Mr. Go’s actions during the clearing operations, a show cause order has already been issued to him,” the statement read.
READ: Artes to punish MMDA officer who shamed cop as Ejercito hits incident
The senator earlier shared a Facebook video where the MMDA officer ticketed a Quezon City cop for parking on a sidewalk. He then criticized Go’s behavior towards the police officer, which he described as “overbearing and disrespectful.”
The National Police Commission (Napolcom) also slammed the incident, saying that the police officer should not be shamed “just for the clicks and views.”
Artes said the MMDA apologizes for the inconvenience the incident caused to its constituents.
“It will be a learning experience for Mr. Go and the MMDA as a whole. A proper apology should be made to Captain Erik Felipe for the harm it may have caused him and his family,” the statement added.
Artes also noted that the agency reached out to Napolcom, the Philippine National Police, and the Quezon City Police District and agreed that the incident would not affect their good relationship.
READ: Napolcom after MMDA tickets cop on video: Don’t shame cops for clicks
On the sexual harassment issue
Artes also responded to Ejercito’s now-deleted post of an alleged sexual harassment complaint filed by an MMDA lady traffic enforcer against Go. The deleted post cited the complaint of the lady traffic enforcer who said Go continued his sexual advances on her despite her refusal.
The female enforcer also said that she was relieved from her post due to the sexual harassment charge.
Ejercito had asked why MMDA rehired Go when he had a complaint against him.
But Artes said that Go resigned from the MMDA in June 2023 and was rehired in November 2023.
“At the time of his rehiring, no case had been filed against him. No formal or sworn complaint, nor any supporting documentation related to the matter, was submitted to the MMDA Committee on Decorum and Investigation [CODI],” Artes’ letter said.
In a letter addressed to Ejercito and shared with the media, Artes said that the CODI followed up on the matter in a letter dated December 19, 2024.