MMDA exec apologizes for shaming cop during clearing op

NOTHING PERSONAL: Metropolitan Manila Development Authority Special Operations Group – Strike Force head Gabriel Go shakes hands with National Police Commission chief Ralph Calinisan during a press conference at the Napolcom office in Quezon City after he apologized for shaming a police officer during a clearing operation last month. — Photo by Jason Sigales/
MANILA, Philippines — A Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) official apologized on Thursday after he was seen in a viral video supposedly shaming a police officer during a clearing operation in Quezon City.
In a press conference with National Police Commission (Napolcom) chief Ralph Calinisan, MMDA Special Operations Group – Strike Force head Gabriel Go apologized to the Philippine National Police (PNP) and to Capt. Erik Felipe.
“It was not right that emotions were involved… I wish to formally ask for understanding and forgiveness from the commissioner and directly to Capt. Felipe,” Go said in a mix of Filipino and English.
He said it was not his intention to cause a commotion and mistreat Felipe. The viral video showed Go issuing Felipe a ticket for parking on the sidewalk near a police station in Quezon City on March 25.
Calinisan previously called out Go for supposedly “humiliating” the officer, saying law enforcement was “not a contest of who looks better.”
READ: Napolcom after MMDA tickets cop on video: Don’t shame cops for clicks
During the press conference, Calinisan said he prayed that the wounds inflicted would heal and the parties involved can move forward.
He assured Go that the MMDA’s relationship with the Napolcom and PNP would not change.
“We are your partners and we will still protect you. Public service continues. It should not be taken personally,” Calinisan said in a mix of Filipino and English.
Cyberlibel
Go distanced himself from the YouTube channel that uploaded the video, stressing that the account was connected neither with him nor the MMDA in any capacity.
He said he agreed with Calinisan that vlogging an operation is not necessary and that they would adhere to the correct course of action on the issue.
When asked about a possible cyberlibel case filed by Felipe, Go said it was the police officer’s right and that he would answer in the proper forum.
In a statement on Tuesday, the MMDA said it was investigating the matter and will penalize Go “as justified.”
Sexual harassment allegation
In a social media post on Monday, Sen. JV Ejercito questioned Go’s behavior toward the police officer, also alleging that the MMDA official was the subject of a sexual harassment case filed by a woman who used to work as an MMDA traffic enforcer.
During the press conference, Go cited a letter sent by the MMDA to Ejercito on Tuesday, saying no case had been filed when the agency rehired him in November 2023.
READ: Artes to punish MMDA officer who shamed cop as Ejercito hits incident
“It was only later that our office was informed of a complaint from an employee. However, no formal or sworn complaint, nor any supporting documentation related to the matter, was submitted to the Committee on Decorum and Investigation of this Authority,” the MMDA said in the letter.
The agency added that it wrote to the complainant in December 2024 to follow up on the filing of a formal complaint.
Go said he has yet to reach out to Ejercito and he is asking for understanding and patience from the senator if the matter had affected him.
Ejercito is the chairperson of the Senate committee on local government.